Bootstrap Case Family Services Directory

Barnsley Council Logo

Looking for Childcare

What types of childcare can I choose from?

The first thing to think about it is what type of childcare do you need.

You can choose from:

  • Private Day Nurseries
  • Childminders
  • Family Centres
  • Pre-Schools
  • School Nursery
  • Out of School Clubs
  • Holiday Clubs

Click here to read about the different types of Childcare (opens in a new window).

Need help to use our childcare search?

You can search for childcare in Barnsley by clicking the above box that says 'click here to search for childcare'

Follow these quick steps:

Step 1: Select the provider type

Step 2: Add your postcode

Step 3: Add how far you would travel in the range box

Step 4: Press search

The search results will show a list of childcare settings and a map showing you where the settings are.

What next?
Click on the setting name and the box will expand so you can read the full record
All settings are inspected by Ofsted to make sure they meet required standards. Look at the Ofsted report that is linked on the record.

The information on the records has been written by the childcare settings, so if you like what you read and are interested, contact the setting to talk through the times and days you need and arrange a visit

Childcare Checklist: Things to ask the Childcare setting
Take a look at the questions you should ask when visiting a childcare setting for the first time.

  • Are nappies and wipes included in the fee or do you provide your own?
  • Are meals included or paid as extra?
  • What kind of food and drinks do they provide?
  • What is the notice period when ending a contract?
  • What qualifications do the staff have?
  • How will they keep you up to date with your child’s progress?
  • How is good behaviour encouraged?
  • What activities will your child do?

It’s important that you read the settings policies and understand them, if you have any questions you should talk to the setting.

Arrange a visit to look around the building and outside play areas.

Settling in period

Ask about settling in visits. These are an agreed amount of time to help settle your child in the setting. It can help you and your child to feel confident and safe.

Help with Childcare Costs

There is government help with childcare costs for both working and non-working families; 

  • Tax free childcare
  • 30 Hours free childcare
  • FREE childcare for eligible 2 year olds
  • Tax credits for childcare
  • Universal credit for childcare
  • Support while you study from Care to learn for if you are at school, sixth form, further or higher education

See what you are eligible for and how to apply here

What if I’m not happy with a childcare setting?

 Talk to the setting first about any concerns you may have.

Most of the time the setting and family can work through the concerns

If you and the setting cannot find a solution, you can register your complaint with Ofsted by clicking here
Looking for childcare, but can't find it

If you have looked for childcare but can't find any, Families Information Service may be able to help. 

Ring 0800 0345 340 


FAQ’S (Frequently Asked Questions)

Please keep visiting this section, we will keep adding to the FAQ's 

Sometimes settings can talk about things that you may not be sure of.

Below is an explanation of some of the terms or words that you may hear.

What is Ofsted?

Click here to find out more information.

What are ratios?

All settings must work to staff ratios. This is the minimum number of adults needed when caring for children. The younger children are, the more adults are needed.

For example:

  • 1 adult to 3 children under the age of 2
  • 1 adult to 4 children aged 2
  • 1 adult to 8 children aged 8 and above

What is a notice period?

When your child starts a childcare setting you will sign a contract. In the contract there should be section about notice periods. This is usually the amount of notice you need to give if you want to change settings. You should not start a new setting before the end of your notice period because you may have to pay for both settings. 

Childcare Sufficiency in Barnsley

Every year the Local Authority produce an Annual Sufficiency Report, this tells us what childcare is available and if there are any gaps.

You can read the latest Childcare Sufficiency Assessment reports here .